- Dress in bright colours and use reflective tape.
- Use a flashlight. Stay in well-lit areas.
- Wear make-up. It's harder to see in a mask.
- Go down one side of the street and up the other. This limits the number of times you need to cross the street.
- Never go inside the home or car of someone you don't know.
- Stay on the doorstep or sidewalk.
- Have your parents check your treats before eating them.
- Keep porch lights or external security lights on
- Keep doors clear and accessible and avoid decorations that are flammable or can pose a tripping hazard.
- Don't invite children inside your home.
- Only pass out commercially wrapped candy and snacks.
- Keep pets indoors, as they may be easily scared by children in costumes.